Subject: [Leica] Re: Dr. Blacktape Places an Order...
From: pieter@world.std.com (Pieter Bras)
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 09:57:18 -0400

InfinityDT@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 8/30/99 2:45:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> bdcolen@earthlink.net writes:
>
> << But for now, with a Mint- 85 1.4 Nikkor about 1/3 the price of a used
> Summilux 75, well.......  >>

> I own a 75 Summilux and while it might not be as needle-sharp as the
> Nikkor 85's (had them all, incl the 1.4), the people I photograph like
> the way the 'Lux makes them look as opposed to the Nikkor which would be
> a perfect lens for a dermatologist.  As a low-light PJ lens the 85 1.4
> is killer; as a portrait lens the 105 2.5 is more flattering.  My 85
> Nikkor of choice (when I'm not carrying a Leica) is the f2, which is a
> flattering people-lens at f2 or 2.8 and razor-sharp and contrasty from
> f4 on down...something akin to the 90 Summicron.

I came to Leica by way of Nikon about a year and a half ago, and have
experience with some of these older Nikon lenses.  I found the 105/2.5
to have noticeable amounts of chromatic aberration off-axis (this in
common with most of my Nikkors).  It wasn't just my sample, a borrowed
one showed the same thing.  The 85/2 wasn't just soft wide open, it
transformed highlights into ugly-shaped blobs of flare.
And out-of-focus items had that famous doubled Nikkor appearance.

My first Leica lens was a DR Summicron: in terms of color clarity, when
using Kodachrome 25, it just blew away the old Nikkors.  (My thanks to
Bud Cook for prompting me to try Leica.  Now I'm hooked.)

I still have some of my Nikkors: an old 85/1.8 manual focus, and the new
105/2-DC autofocus.  Both are excellent wide open, and faster than my
Leica glass (and bulkier/heavier), but otherwise not really better than
my 60's Leica lenses (50/2 DR, 90/2.8 Elmarit, 135/4 Elmar, 21/3.4 SA).

In my opinion.
- --
Pieter Bras