Subject: [Leica] Re: enlargers - V35 in particular
From: pieter@world.std.com (Pieter Bras)
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 18:41:14 -0400

"Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com> wrote:

> Now I am really confused! (As apposed to the general stupor I'm in anyway!)
> If, then I get the 40mm WA-Focotar, I'll have to send the V35 to Leica?
> There is no user changable cam?

Right, there is no user changeable cam.  If you use anything other than
a 40mm lens on a V35 with a 40mm cam, or a 50mm lens on a V35 with a 50mm
cam, you lose the autofocus feature.  You can still use the enlarger but
you'll have to manually focus, that's all.

> Should I just exchange the 50 Rodenstock on the enlarger for the 50 Focotar
> I have? - And forgo the 40?

Well, if autofocus isn't important to you, then use any focal length you wish.
If it is important, get a V35 cammed for the lens focal length you plan to use
(40mm or 50mm).  Otherwise figure the conversion cost into the purchase price
(assuming that the conversion service is even available at this time --
something else to first check out beforehand).

Also, do you have a 40mm/2.8 WA-Focotar lined up?  If not, you might have to
look pretty hard. They usually come on the market with an entire V35 enlarger
attached, not by themselves.

> I have arranged to purchase a V35 with the VC module, and it is supposed
> to have a 50mm Rodagon lens on it. Of couse the seller tells me that the
> autofocus will work with this lens!

Suggestion: have the seller demonstrate autofocusing with a 50mm lens.

Oh yes -- almost forgot. The 50mm V35's were sold only during the first
few years of the V35's production. These units may still have the older
Philips 6604 lamp instead of the newer Philips 13139 lamp -- different
mounting, for which of course there existed an adapter kit from Leitz,
possibly still available.

Good luck in your quest.

- --
Pieter Bras