Subject: Re: [Leica] WAS: I've seen the Bokeh! NOW: WHY LEICA?
From: Dave Yoder <leica@home.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 09:01:36 -0700

I didn't mean to imply good sharpness and less quality are the primary reasons I
got into Leica, and I totally agree with you on your reasons for using M's. I
would have loved to go to the M system but I know from previous experience with
rangefinders that I will occasionally miss a moment while trying to focus (I
shoot a lot of transparency in low light at maximum aperture and don't have much
faith in my zone focusing potential).

I'm pretty confident in my skills and decided it's time to use the best tools in
this small window when i'll still have the availability of shooting all the
chrome I can put through a body. It's also a mental thing--for some reason I
felt like Canon EOS was hampering my creative side. Can't tell you why, I just
felt like I had a shovel in my hands rather than a paint brush (please forgive
the romanticized metaphor). When I shoot with my R's I feel more like a
craftsman and it inspires me. And while the R8 is the R's answer to the M5, I
don't understand the criticism of the R bodies. They're small, feel well-built
and solid.

So for me it was, I'm just about where I want to be skill-wise (opportunities
are my greatest defecit right now), and since life's so short I might as well go
for it all and try hard to seek out that beautiful netherzone where art and
journalism can be one.

Dave Yoder