Subject: Re: [Leica] WAS: I've seen the Bokeh! NOW: WHY LEICA?
From: InfinityDT@aol.com
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 14:51:39 EDT

Greg.Chappell@bankofamerica.com writes:

<< I have owned most every focal length I currently have with Leica in the
 Nikon range, so I can basically take the SAME pictures with a Nikon as I can
 with a Leica. I have Leica now for three reasons;

 SIZE- The approximate same size Leica and Nikon systems (body, lenses) is
 significantly smaller and lighter with Leica. My right shoulder used to be a
 few inches lower than the left side after hauling my slr bag around for an
 afternoon & my camera goes with me EVERYWHERE, EVERY DAY.

 RANGEFINDER FOCUSING- I take a lot of available light indoor pictures &
 really like the advantages of being able to focus a 21mm lens as easy as a
 50 or 90 lens. Try doing that manually with a Nikon or any comparable MF SLR
 system.

 QUITE SIMPLY, I'VE ALWAYS WANTED ONE!- >>

Three *great* reasons.  And if you think your shoulder was sore from those
Nikons try a Leica R kit with the same lenses!  I walked around with an R8,
R7, 24,35,50,90,and 180 f4 for about a week before deciding not to switch
from my n90s, F3 and similar focal length lenses.  Since then I've all but
abandoned even those.  I still use the F5 and 300 f2.8 AF-S + teleconverters
for wildlife and take a couple shorter lenses along rather than carry 2
systems, but for travel use I'm back to the M system and very happy.  I don't
personally see any earth-shattering superiority in the look of the Leica
images (all latest version lenses) but the ergonomics are a gift from heaven
and that's what I was aiming for in the first place.

DT