Subject: Re: [Leica] B&W Film
From: Jiri_Dvorak@idx.com
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 13:28:38 -0700

>Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 22:11:57 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Andrew Moore <dmm@bronze.lcs.mit.edu>

>I try this combination (Delta 400 in Xtol 1:1) several times, including
>last weekend, and the first thing I notice is the appearance of more
>grain (at least on the negatives -- I haven't printed yet) as compared
>to my Tri-X negatives.  I shoot the Tri-X at 320, and the Delta at 400.
>I process in 1- or 2-reel stainless steel tanks for 14 minutes at 68
>degrees F.  If anyone has tried Delta 400 in Xtol 1:1, with less grainy
>results, I'd like to hear the recipie.

>- --Andrew

Andrew,

I've started with Kodak's recommended time for Delta 400 at ASA 400 1:1
dilution (10.5' @68F or 9.5 @70F) and have since "trimmed" the time down by
a half minute (10' or 9'). My agitation is following: first 30 seconds
continuously, and then one inversion per minute (if I know the whole film
was shot in low contrast situations, I do two inversions per minute). The
more you agitate the more grain you'll get.

Jiri D.