Subject: Re: [Leica] Multi-spot metering: clarification and thoughts
From: Jiri_Dvorak@idx.com
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 09:28:45 -0700

>Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 16:06:40 -0700
>From: "Mark E Davison" <Mark_E_Davison@email.msn.com>
>Subject: [Leica] Multi-spot metering: clarification and thoughts
>
>Some points on multi-spot metering:
>
>1. After corresponding with Eric Welch privately, I realize I made
>multi-spot metering on the OM4Ti sound more complicated than it is. Here
is
>how I use it:
>
>Put the camera on Manual.
>Aim the camera at a highlight. Press SPOT.
>Aim the camera at a shadow. Press SPOT.
>Eyeball the recorded light levels displayed in the bar graph in the
>viewfinder, and adjust the exposure with the aperture ring. You can tell
at
>a glance if the highlight and shadow are too far apart to capture with the
>film.

>In summary: Highlight, SPOT, Shadow, SPOT, Adjust. Shoot, shoot, shoot....
.

Modification for those using the R7:
the camera is set on manual spot and cocked, you glance at the scene and
preset your exposure pretty much automatically (after all you are a Leica
user, right?), now lift your camera and press the shutter release lightly
and point at the highlight, check your handy scale on the right side of the
viewfinder, keep the pressure on and move your spot to shadow, check your
handy scale again, adjust if needed, recompose and shoot .

In summary: Highlight, Shadow, Adjust. Shoot, shoot, shoot...

Yeah I know, R7 just shows +/- 2.5 stops but hey it works.

BTW, I used to have OM4 and did like the metering...

Jiri D.