Subject: Re: [Leica] Comments on Russar 5,6/20 mm please....
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 16:33:29 -0400

At 03:04 PM 9/1/1999 EDT, InfinityDT wrote:
>Here's just my 0.02:  Stephen Gandy advertises Nikon F-to-Leica M adaptors
on
>his website www.cameraquest.com for as I recall $175.  For in the $400 range
>you can get a decent used 20 f2.8AF Nikkor.  It won't rangefinder couple
>(neither does the Russar) but it will meter with the M6.  By f5.6-f8 it's a
>fine, fine performer; plus you can use it on any Nikon SLR body and it has
an
>almost guaranteed resale value at or near what you paid for it.  It's no 21
>S/A or Elmarit-ASPH but if it were me I'd place it before the Kobalux or the
>Russar in terms of performance and value.

And 2 cents is all that is worth.  A discerning shopper can find a Russar
MR-2 for under $200.  And a Russar, I strongly suspect, will outperform ANY
retrofocus 21mm design.

It is a much more complex design than I had previously thought.  The
formula was much admired by Willy Merte, the Zeiss optical scientist
responsible for the Biotar.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!