Subject: Re: [Leica] Whether to buy a seperate meter?
From: Henry Ambrose <digphoto@nashville.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 14:54:43 -0600

>Roger Underwood wrote:
>>
>> I read an article in a photo mag the other day advocating the purchase of a
>> seperate hand held meter for incident light readings in situations where
>> conditions are a bit problematic.  I have an M6 an will admit to the odd
>> unsucessfull exposure though inexpert use.  Should this advice be followed,
>> or is it simply a matter of practise in using the M6's meter?
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Roger
>>
>There is bound to be eminent people that could disagree but I vote for the
>later. Sure it' always great to get a second opinion if you want to drive
>yourself crazy. You might even end up with a camera with no meter in it
>one day.
>I don't go incident even with studio strobes and I think even the majority of
>hard core zone system photographers do. I use a spot flash meter (the
>Minolta).
>Incident reading are mindless- which in a way is exactly the point.
>The meter on your M6 will do well for you and the learning curve on
>reflective
>metering is similar to most other cameras and should be pretty short.
>Mark Rabiner

I'm not one of those to whom Mark refers in his reply above (eminent) and
I kinda disagree. For the way I suspect that many use the M camera,
another meter would be just an additional burden. On the other hand,
sometimes an incident reading is the fastest and best way to get the info
I need. Often even before I touch my camera.

What I like most about an incident meter is that the guess comes last. By
that I mean that the photographer's estimation of subject reflectivity
happens after a measurement of the light falling on the scene. With a
reflective meter the guess comes first - what part of this scene is about
"average"? Then that part is metered.

For whatever strange reason, my first knowing about the light falling on
a scene is the logical starting point. Then I start making exposure
allowances for the subject reflectivity/desired effect. This is not
mindless. I start the process with a real MEASURED number instead of a
guess!

That all said, most of the time I don't bother with the incident meter
and use whats in the camera. The M6 meter is certainly good and I rarely
have trouble using it. But  -when the going gets tough, the tough go
incident. That means that when in doubt I whip out the incident meter.
(the one that is always in my bag) Very calming to me. Especially
transparency film.

Henry Ambrose