Subject: Re: [Leica] Whether to buy a seperate meter?
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 12:07:59 -0700

Roger Underwood wrote:

> I read an article in a photo mag the other day advocating the purchase of a
> seperate hand held meter for incident light readings in situations where
> conditions are a bit problematic.  I have an M6 an will admit to the odd
> unsucessfull exposure though inexpert use.  Should this advice be followed,
> or is it simply a matter of practise in using the M6's meter?
>
> Regards
>
> Roger

There is bound to be eminent people that could disagree but I vote for the
later. Sure it' always great to get a second opinion if you want to drive
yourself crazy. You might even end up with a camera with no meter in it one day.
I don't go incident even with studio strobes and I think even the majority of
hard core zone system photographers do. I use a spot flash meter (the Minolta).
Incident reading are mindless- which in a way is exactly the point.
The meter on your M6 will do well for you and the learning curve on reflective
metering is similar to most other cameras and should be pretty short.
Mark Rabiner