Subject: [Leica] Re: Whether to buy a seperate meter?
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 10:10:02 -0700

Exposure, meter readings, meters, like film and cameras, is a very personal
thing. How one meters will usually be the result of years of trial and
error, finally figuring out what works "for them." Everyone approaches it a
little differently. Some don't use a meter. Some use only the meter in
their camera. Some have one or more separate meters, etc... And, of course,
the resultant use of the photograph plays an important part in the
exposure. And are you using B&W, color neg, or chrome film. Everything is
different and requires a different approach.

Personally, when carrying my M6's, I rely on the built in meter. But what I
meter on, however, may not be what I am photographing. The M6 meter is very
good, but only as good as the person behind the viewfinder. I use chrome
film almost exclusively (E200 in the M6) and correct exposure is very
important.

Even though my Hasselblad has a meter prism, the camera lives mostly on a
tripod. The built-in meter is less useful when the camera is on a tripod.
Difficult to aim in another direction once your framing is set-up. Since
when photographing with this system, I carry it all in a LowePro Mini
Trekker, the addition of a separate meter is not bothersome. I use the
separate meter 90% of the time with the Hasselblad. It is an incident
meter. I use mostly Velvia so proper exposure is critical.

My 4x5 field camera does not contain a meter. My backpack containing this
kit has two meters, a spot and an incident meter. I use the incident meter
95% of the time, sometimes checking out object brightness (or dimness) with
the spot meter. I also almost exclusively use Velvia with this camera so
again, proper exposure is very critical. And bracketing is very expensive.

Years ago, after much testing and fiddling, I chose the Gossen Luna Star F2
as my "digital" incident meter. It not only has instant on, it will compute
filter factors (through the filter), give analog readings, ratios, EV, and
take reflected and spot readings as well.

I use a Pentax Digital Spot meter. The one that shows a number and one or
two dots for a reading.

I also have a Sekonic Studio Master Deluxe, which stays in the car, and is
my backup meter (no battery) should I need it. And I have. I've had this
meter for 30 years. Great analog meter. And reasonably compact. I used to
carry this meter in my pocket when I had an M2.

Jim

Jim