Subject: [Leica] Re: Lightjets!
From: "TSL" <eno22@enter.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 03:24:47 -0400

A while back, Mark wrote:

>>Please do not spare our precious low tech cloth shutter sensibilities
about
>>the Lightjets!
>>Inkjets with Lasers!?
>>How do they compare with the Ciba or a c print or other printing. I am
very
>>interested and my guess is others would be too!.
>>Mark Rabiner

I answered with two web sites,  http://www.calypsoinc.com/  and
http://www.cymbolic.com/ .

<<But failed to answer the Ciba - LightJet comparison question.

LightJet prints are awesome in their own right. They have a sense of smooth
realism to them. As I mentioned earlier, my 48x60's are so sharp it is mind
boggling.>>

<<LightJets do not inherently have the contrast of Ciba's. No mask needed.
Perhaps a Photo Shop tweak or two. A good Ciba print looks "alive". A good
LightJet is gorgeous, but lacks that "photo-quality" look. When making very
large Ciba prints, enlarger optics and enlarger spec's play heavily on the
quality of the result. A 48x96 (max size) LightJet will look exactly like
an 8x10 LightJet. There are no optical/mechanical gotcha's in the way. Only
scan size and computer profiling. Once done, size is not an issue.>>

<<For sheer photographic beauty, I'll choose a Ciba print any day. They just
have that look.>>

Ciba prints are more expensive than LightJet prints as well. That is, after
the scan.

Jim
- ------------------

The lightjets "pop" - a 'realism' for sure.  It's like looking at a framed
photograph with bad lighting - then the  light hits the photograph and...ohh
I've never noticed that!  Of course this is with the implication that the
whole scan/file size/prep/output is within a given closed loop system.  The
benefits, as you mentioned are the ability to go very small and very large
(within xxxmb allowances) without the variables.
From the lighjets done I think in general this ranks above the ciba.  A
couple of reasons which are perhaps exceedingly subjective.

I won't comment on the actual differences in developmental specifications of
any sort because...   I can't really.  This I think I may be alone on here
but I'm just sick - it just bothers me - when I here cibas! cibas! cibas!  I
love cibas too!  Or Ilfochromes.  Please don't take this the wrong way but a
ciba ciba campaign makes me want to crumble up a nice ciba.  Perhaps this
has something to do with my relatively close proximity to NYC which -
whatever.  You gotta be bad...  Anyhow I find it a bit strange that an
ultraaa gloss ciba (which is what we mean by ciba) is considered so
realistic.  I've not had any of the glossy with the lightjet.   But cibas
are a mirror.  This may be "photo-quality" - and of course that's something
pre-defined anyhow.   I tend to think that people are ciba ciba-like often
because hey - they're cibas.  Reality is so glossy?
The c's definitely deserve their reputation - they do something that another
R-print can't match in certain respects.  This is not so easily verbalized
but it's there - also you can store them in a vault so you're descendents
can appreciate them in the sunlight.

My point is not gloss-related - I just typed that in 'cause I's thinking
like that. Just throwing my hat in with the lightjet. There's the archived
master image thing which is quite positive for certain goodies at least.
There's also the multitude of possibilities in using your images by going
this route.  The benefits just go on.  Yes there are oppositions of all
kind - especially the digital implications.  But that will go away.  It's
then something of a degree -  coolscans and epsons and tangos and
lightjeets.  i've looked at thing from a dual perspective - in that I take
the picture and then it's someone else's thing.  maybe a
half-process...makes me want everything else to be quickly definite
predictable stable and archived.  If its good - leave it so as not to cause
any worry over having any variables that have traces of arbitrary qualities.
this is of course said by someone who's not too good in the digital
light/dark desktop room area.