Subject: [Leica] Re: Schwarzer Zaun
From: "TSL" <eno22@enter.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 03:54:32 -0400

<SNIP>
>Okay fine, the artist photographer should print his work as he sees fit
>(with or without the frame lines). Do the lines prohibit the viewers'
>continued interest in the work, are they not a limitation to the
>imagination? So what if the sky flows off the edge of the print into the
>matte? Doesn't sky do that anyway?
>If you require added black content to bolster your blacks in the image
>itself, something else is wrong with the print?
>
>I like the idea of showing the subject as intended, but the frame lines
>don't provide additional value to the statement. Only detract from it.

Well said...  there's a significant difference between ignoring (possibly
quite intentionally) artistic "rules" or "givens" or "customs" or "trends"
and just showing the damn photo and the person who makes this "blowing off
rules" a rule itself.  The former does it out of honesty and plainly human,
whereas the latter is involved with 'building on the idea' - of making this
quality something that resides within the walls of  'expression', etc.  If
you don't crop any of your photos because you don't want to or you don't
care  - that's worlds apart from the person who doesn't crop because "it
adds to the artistic statement and says something".  The former is simply
doing what he wants.  The other is surrounding himself with borders which
say that the concern is not negating such rules but of giving the rules the
substance that they do have.  This can be seen in the pinhole revolution.
Now it's supposedly an artistic expression.  Well, who made that rule up?
The pinholers!