Subject: Re: [Leica] M and R Future
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 21:31:59 -0400

At 05:59 PM 9/6/1999 -0700, Henning J. Wulff wrote:
>I realize you dislike this lens without having tried it, but you really
>can't tell me that I would not have bought the lens at $1500.
>
>That is truly my decision to make. Please let me make it.

Whoa, Henning!  A bit touchy, are we?

Try this one, brother:  COSINA, the company which markets the lens, not M
Small, Esq., determined that they would make more profit at a $500 price
point than at a $1,500 price point.  Sure, you would have bought the lens
at $1,500, but Cosina thought, and, I suspect properly, that they would
sell enough lenses at $500 to exceed the profit they would make if they
sold the lens for $1,500.  In other words, they went mass-market and not
elitist on this one, a decision I applaud.

I haven't a clue as to why you think I "dislike" this lens, as my earlier
postings have painfully and in great detail pointed out, first, that I have
no access to this lens, other than buying it, which I will not do because
of its focal length, and, secondly, that I do not feel, from the pictures I
have seen shot with it, that it equals the performance of the Carl Zeiss
Hologon.  Now, Henning, I realize from our earlier communications that you
dislike the Hologon, but so be it.

I respect Cosina for producing this lens.  I despise its name, as the name
is a fraud and a cheat.  But the lens itself seems a decent enough
performer, and seems honestly priced.  For $500, you get a $500 lens.  If
that seems to be "dislike" to you, well, buddy, you live in a weird universe.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!