Subject: Re: [Leica] M and R Future
From: Simon Stevens <simon@wizard.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 22:25:07 -0400

>I bet there are a lot of twenty-somethings out there who wouldn't pick
up
>the latest Canon Rebel if you paid them, but who would seriously
consider
>taking up photography with a funky looking LTM camera, particularly
upon
>learning that they can use lenses as old at 1924 on them!

I'm not in my early twenties any more, but I bought my first Leica when
I was 18. It was a IIIa and it was love at first sight. A year later I
got my current M4-P ditching my Nikons in the process. That was twelve
years ago and I am as uninterested in gimmicky electronic cameras now as
I was then. Too big, too fiddly and too much bother to learn how to use.

Unfortunatly this criticism includes most of the R models and especially
the R8. If I wanted to carry a camera that huge, I'd just use my
Hasselblad. Leicas are meant to be small, that's the whole reason Oskar
invented them in the first place!

Simon Stevens