Subject: [Leica] Re: Current Events
From: "Roger Beamon" <roger@beamon.org>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 09:51:30 -0700

On 6 Sep 99, Marc James Small wrote, at least in part:

<snip>

> The American media is constantly confusing "not guilty" and "innocent" in
> the same way.  If the government fails to prove a criminal act to the
> satisfaction of the trier of fact, that doesn't mean the Defendants didn't
> do it;  it just means the government failed to prove their case, a
> different thing totally.

<snip>

Isn't this in conflict with the lay person's concept of a cornerstone
of our system in the US, i.e. the presumption of innocence until
proven guilty?

- --
Roger
mailto:roger@beamon.org

    He, who will not reason, is a bigot;
    he, who cannot, is a fool;
    and he, who dares not, is a slave.
          -- William Drumond, Scottish writer (1585-1649)