Subject: Re: [Leica] Current Events
From: Dave Yoder <leica@home.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 22:01:01 -0700

I've posted it here before so sorry if I'm tiresome, but I feel it's an
obligation to SOME of the photographers involved to impart what I gathered about
the accident--
When in Paris for a friend's New Year's Eve party two years ago I talked to
someone, a limo driver who works for, among other clients, the Ritz. He
witnessed the accident, as he was driving home from the Ritz, shortly after
witnessing Henri Paul step out the front door of the Ritz and challenge the
waiting photographers to try to keep up with him.
In short, Paul left the photographers in the dust from when he left the hotel.
They were nowhere near the accident, and a couple of them weren't even assigned
to photograph Di, but happened upon the accident en route to something else and
got rounded up with the rest.

I don't condone paparazzi, and I don't even think of them as photographers (what
does it take to shoot a fully automated camera these days?). I think they're
more akin to private investigators or bounty hunters than photographers.

Sorry so many of my posts have been off-topic, I'll try to exercise greater
discipline.

BTW, for any pros out there, especially freelancers, register with
editorialphoto.com. They just might save freelance photography. invaluable
information for me too, as I hope to go freelance eventually. But they are not
in the least bit tolerant of wayward posts like this one.

Dave Yoder