Subject: Re: [Leica] Galen Rowell and Nikon
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 08:24:04 -0700

Galen Rowell, photographer! Now that's an establshed fact of life and his
images speak loudly of his ability.

Who cares what hardware he uses? He's the human being who sees the scene,
uses a black box carrying light sensitive film and exposes it at the
appropriate time.

Sometime during our photographic life we finally learn, "it's the
photographer who sees and activates the taking of the image," not the cold
mechanical none thinking device controlled by the human being!"  Some never
get it!

If Galen used P&S cameras to do what he accomplishes, does that mean all
those "outdoor types" would sell their Nkn or Cnn and the occaisional Leica
for a P&S because they think they'd be better moutain shooters?  I think
not! And I'm sure Galen would agree.

Whether he gets product or money for his endorsements isn't relevent. Just
as little old Maudy Frickert on TV gets paid for saying "This is the best
damn soup ever put in a can!":)

Sure there are always going to be the "equipment fruit cakes"  who think if
they have the same camera and use the same exposure as a well known
photographer they're going to shoot the same great images.  We all know
that ain't so.

If Galen were to use Leica and do what he does with any other camera,
obviously that would be good for Leica. But it still wouldn't make a
tinkers damn of how good he is because he used Leica or some other black
box.  He's good because he sees what others don't. And has the brains to
put it on film!  IMHO

And without question, has learned how to promote himself!

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant