Subject: RE: [Leica] Galen Rowell and Nikon
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 14:02:33 -0700

Jonathan Lee wrote:

> [...]

Yah the colours are vivid and the locations are superb but so what? There
was little interpretation of the scene, Rowell just happens to take a
snapshot of a really nice place. Pretty photos yes,but no more than that.

>I could care less if he used a Leica or a Nikon or a Voigtlander.>>>>>>>

Jonathan,

Cool response!  Because, in reality how do any of the people on the LUG
know they wouldn't do better if they were there and not Galen?

Sometimes people, (read other photographers)  get wet knickers with
excitment over the results of a photographer without allowing an
observation, that they may do better if given equal opportunity of being in
the same place at the same time.

Many relate to the "WOW! he's fantastic!" without any thought that a number
of photographers on the LUG or else where could do much better, or as well
under identicle circumstance. If given the opportunity.

I find when I give lectures, one has to always remember, you have had
opportunities others have not. And given the opportunity, many in the
audience could blow you out of the water on any given day.

And that's why I always take comments about the work of others and my own
with a very large grain of salt! Nice to hear and receive. However, far too
many unknown ordinary folk photographers out there who are quite fantastic,
but have never had the opportunies presented to show the "right stuff!"

Whether he or she uses Leica or any other hardware!

Galen is a great shooter for what he does, would I do that kind of stuff?
Nope!

Not unless I could shoot out of a helicopter and let it do the "walking!"
:) And of course I'd be using Leica! However, would that make my pictures
better? :):)

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant