Subject: Re: [Leica] Help printing scanned Leica negatives!
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 09:42:28 -0500

At 06:32 AM 9/8/99 -0700, Frank Conley wrote:
>I've seen up until today, a 4x6 print from K-mart still looks
>infinitely better than an inkjet print. This doesn't mean that that
>won't change tomorrow.

Not even close. Current top-end ink jet prints are the equal (with the
right hardware) of a custom C Print at a pro. lab.

By right hardware I mean a color-calibrated monitor (Gamma running), ICC
(which means a Mac, or PC running Windows 98 or Windows 2000), Photoshop
and the latest technology inkjet printers on the correct paper. Lots of bad
papers out there, few good ones. Epson, Kodak and Konica's Photo paper (not
photo quality) are the only ones I've seen.

I've made gorgeous black and white prints with my Epson Stylus Photo 700.
And color, well, it's better than I'd get from any lab around here, and the
equal of the paper's $8,000 Kodak dye sub printer. I used a friend's Fuji
printer ($18,000) a couple weeks ago using a less than ideal digital file,
and after a bit of work made a print that rivals an Ilfochrome (Cibachrome)!

But then I've got professional training in pre-press.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO

http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Do not remove this tag under penalty of law.