Subject: Re: [Leica] Beauty of the digital darkroom
From: RBedw51767@aol.com
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 15:24:41 EDT

Mark & David:

I am just about to conclude that the "soup" method is faster and better.  I
decided to add digital to augment my darkroom work.  Hah!.....what a pain in
the butt and I certainly don't have the patience.  My first acquisitions were
good; Epson 6200 Scanner and an Epson 1200 printer.   After seeing Nathan
Wajsmans digital prints I knew that high quality was possible.   Absolutey
gorgeous prints....much better than I ever expected.    The next step was a
negative scanner and because I use both 35 and medium formats I chose the
Minolta Dimage Scan Multi.  On my desk I have be able to get 2-1/2 decent
prints.....in three weeks.   The software didn't work with Photoshop,
sometimes it would scan and sometimes not.  My friend Dan Post has been
patiently working with it and both have determined that it is obsessed with
demons.  So, we have a replacement on order which I think is coming by the
way of Mongolia from Japan by camel.  Perhaps I will have it in time for Y2K
to kick in.

During this time I could have processed and printed a hundred rolls of film
and be reminded each day with that wonderful aroma of hypo.  The adventure
into digital has been painful and extremely aggravating.   Many more glitches
and I am going to give the Minolta Scan Multi back to Minolta for good.

Best of luck.........darkroom is better!

Bob Bedwell
<<
 > I'm equipped with an LS-2000, an Epson Stylus 1200, and I am making color
 > and B&W prints that are far better than anything I've ever done in soup.

 Not to worry Mark, the dry wall man was here not over an hour ago to give me
 an estimate on the finish work for the new darkroom.

 I will have you and up for the inaugural splash of acetic acid on your
 clothes and you will be a whole man once again.

 I know it will be tough, but you will not need to wallow in the light for
 much longer. Hang in there, a cure is at hand!

 Cheers,
 David
 dmedley@whidbey.net >>