Subject: Re: [Leica] Artwork photos: Ektachrome 100?
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 1999 20:40:59 -0700

Andrew Moore wrote:

> I've been experimenting shooting some artwork for a friend of mine.
> The pieces are mostly paintings with very subtle differences in colors,
> which need to be reproduced as accurately as possible.
>
> I tried K64 indoors with daylight (through windows), but the overall
> results looked a little cool.  It probably didn't help that the day was
> overcast and the gallery walls were greenish/blueish in color.
>
> I hear that Ektachrome 100 m ight be a better choice, if used outdoors in
> daylight.  Any suggestions?

Andrew,
If you want accurate colors and lower contrast, try EPN.  It is designed for
catalog work with accurate colors and good reproduction.  I have heard of one
big time stock photographer who uses it simply because it is low enough in
contrast to dupe well.  A good friend who does much museum work for
catalogues (did the "treasures of the Andes" in Peru several months ago) uses
primarily Agfa--after much testing and consultation with separation
houses--but that is primarily for use with Western inks.  With Asian
printing, the inks are different and the Fuji films might be better.  He also
does cross polarization to eliminate highlights on oil painting and does pre
flashing of 4x5 film to get the deep shadow detail up past the Dmax.  He also
switched from Elinchrome to White Lightning strobes with no problem (but more
money left over to buy beer!).

Overcast day will be deadly.  Also, many windows in commercial spaces have
subtle tints.  Careful.    Frankly, the labs here in SD have lights set up
and do credible job of shooting artwork on 4x5 for $15.  My friend charges
$140 each.  If you have a good lab, you might save yourself a lot of grief by
just sending stuff there.

donal

- --
Donal Philby