Subject: [Leica] Re: Fill flash
From: InfinityDT@aol.com
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 14:32:34 EDT

In a message dated 9/10/99 1:57:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
peterk@lucent.com writes:

<< The only Flash I am aware of that can handle specific 1/2 or 1/3 auto
 setings is the Q-Flash.

 Cameras such as the Nikon F and N series provide flash compensation that
 very easily handles something like the -1.7EV (-1 2/3 stops rounded) fill
 flash that Galen uses.   >>

You can use any of the high-end Nikon strobes (SB 24-28) on non-TTL AUTO
(front-mounted sensor) and it will let you select any ISO you want in 1/3
stops, or alternatively you can "lie" to the flash and tell it you're using
any aperture (in 1/3 stops) you want, in order to get the fill ratio you
desire.  The one big drawback is you can't leave the flash sensor on the
camera if you take the flash off on a cord, the way you can with the Viv 283.
 You're right there are only 4 aperture settings, so you have to do a little
math and diddle with the f stop a bit to get compensation in less than full
stops.  I've used the SB26 for fill-flash on my M6...looks like an elephant
sitting on an ant's nest, but it works.  In fact, with the M's limited
flash-sync capability it's the best solution I've found without going out and
buying a Metz MZ-3 just for the occasional use.