Subject: Re: [Leica] APO-ASPH Summicron 90
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 12:54:32 +0000

>> >My dealer is expecting a shipment of at least one of the new 90s on Monday
>> >or Tuesday, so I am hoping that if any lugger who has one has been
>> >disappointed with its performance, please speak up now!
>> >
>> >Thanks,
>> >
>> >Dan C.
>>
>> Wow!  Reminds me of the padre's exhortation at a church wedding.
>> Be prepared to expect that the performance of the new fangled 90 lens is
>> only marginally better than the old 90 summicron.
>>
>> Dan K.
>>
>The old 90 Summicron is an good performer not as good as the Elmarit which
is a
>generation newer and compared to the even newer generation (as in NOW) APO
ASPH
>there is going to have to be a real difference. Even sharper that the past
>titleholder topdog the 100 2.8 macro R.
>According to Erwin, Dan I think these Summicrons are at least 2 "generations"
>apart. So if each generation is an marginal increment I think we have two of
>them here, We are comparing THE cutting edge image maker against a design
which
>is darn creaky in it's 90mm older Non-ASPH-AND-APO form and looks it from
the outside.
>But creaky lenses can be lovable and excellent and your lens didn't stop
taking
>great shots for you just because this new one was invented. I just think the
>difference is not going to be slight. Check Erwins thing for yourself I
thought
>you valued his opinion! I hear it's been upgraded with a FAQ and more!
>Eventually I'll be able to compare it for myself against the Elmarit.
>Mark Rabiner

I must admit that I gathered the information from first impressions of
users. They could be just eyeballing the differences for all you know. I'd
wait for some really solid testimonies to come along over the next few months.

So when will you be getting that Double-A (Apo_Asph) piece of glass?

Dan K.

                  Humility is the forerunner of Wisdom