Subject: Re: [Leica] Nathan's FS'es // hooked on Leica
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 09:21:44 +0200

Hi Bill,

I do not know if I should be flattered that my equipment sales generate so much
attention...I am not a collector. If I am not using a piece of equipment, I sell
it to finance other equipment purchases. In the case of the Elmar, I agree that
it is a wonderful lens. But I have recently bought a Summitar, which I prefer
because of the greater maximum aperture. The Summitar, while bigger than the
Elmar, is also collapsible, and my IIIf is just as small and handy with it. So
the Elmar is for sale. Especially with my LTM stuff, I am determined to keep the
outfit down to the very basics: one IIIf body and one 50mm lens. And I have no
interest in using either the Elmar or the Summitar on my M cameras; I already
have two 50mm lenses for those, a Summicron and a Noctilux.

Another rule I try to follow is to avoid overlap between my systems. So, for my
Leicaflex, I have bought the 60mm Macro Elmarit, 180mm Elmarit and 400mm
Telyt--all of these are for taking pictures not easily done with a rangefinder.
The only deviation from this rule is that I also have a 50mm Summicron R, but
this is only because it came with one of the Leicaflex bodies and was essentially
free.

Having said all this, I must admit that when I was sending off my 75mm Summilux
to Keith recently, I did feel a tinge of sadness, like parting with a friend. But
the new 90mm Apo Summicron that I bought with the proceeds soon made me feel
better ;-)

MVH,

Nathan

Bill Larsen wrote:

> Welcome to the club.  Are you sure that you really want to sell the 3.5/50
> collapsible.  Think about.  A lousy 200 EUR for the lens.  You can put it on
> your M and slip it in your coat pocket and pull the camera and lens out in  a
> moment to capture a moment.  You don't have to worry about one of Ted's cows
> flinging stuff on it.  You probably cannot duplicate the photos it takes with
> a more modern lens.  (I mean once you learn the characteristics of the lens
> ... sometimes you want to exploit what is currently thought of as weaknesses
> of the lens).  Are you really sure that you might not want to use the Elmar?
>
> I have the problem that rationally I want to have a M carry system of the
> 75/1.4 and the 35/2asph...but I cannot find it within myself to sell other
> lenses.

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Overijse, Belgium