Subject: [Leica] Re: glass plate negs
From: "Paul Schiemer" <schiemer@magicnet.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 08:49:39 -0400

Eric Welch wrote:
> It's impact in print.
>Leica started that era of photojournalism, which is essentially unchanged in
>spirit to this day....

I think we've agreed Leica had an important role in the continued
development of 'photojournalism' by their introduction of miniature format
cameras & lenses.  I think we also agree Leica did NOT 'create'
photojournalism (as originally contended).

Photojournalism is a simple cycle; take a photo with impact, show it to a
few people, it leaves a mark with them. Take the same photo and publish it
(in any media), it leaves a mark on mankind. That MARK is part of our
(mankind's) maturation.

NOTHING about the process of obtaining the image, the presentation of it to
the masses, and/or the preservation of it has anything to do with what kind
of equipment was used.  It's not something contained in the byline.
To proffer Leica produced images have more 'impact' than any others does a
disservice to many, many great photographs (and photographers) that preceded
a single point in the evolution of the medium. Leica is merely one of the
points, not THE point.

Of course, after Leica, there has been a proliferation of mediocre
photography- much of it in print. It's a double edged sword, eh?
[I pledge to not contribute further to this OT thread].