Subject: [Leica] Re: glass plate negs (fin)
From: "Paul Schiemer" <schiemer@magicnet.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 11:44:11 -0400

Eric Welch wrote:
>You obviously DON'T understand what I'm saying.
It's not that I don't understand, I'm just not listening to your feeble
attempt to change history to suit your particular myopia. <you're not taking
pictures with that condition are you?>

It's like arguing depth of field wasn't a phenomena until DOF scales were
printed on lens barrels!

I assure you there were many good photographers <who never touched 35mm>
before Leica that produced GREAT photographs appearing in print (for which
they were paid, making them professionals). That the term
'photojournalism' was not yet coined at the time does not preclude their
having been participants in the process.

>But don't tell me that the 35mm spool of film didn't change the profession.
Never said the development of 35mm didn't have a profound effect on
photojournalism. Though, applying your formula, more credit may belong to
Eastman and Edison for their continuous roll technology <which opened the
Barnack door>.

Let's just drop the whole thing; you're right, I'm wrong.