Subject: [Leica] Heliar Test
From: Larry Kopitnik <kopitnil@marketingcomm.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 15:17:19 -0500

The October Popular Photography includes a test of the Cosina/Voigtlander
15 mm f/4.5 Heliar. While I realize Pop Photo's tests aren't universally
respected (though Erwin has posted that he finds their testing methods
among the better ones), I've yet to read dispute with their actual tested
measurements. And they test the resolution of the Heliar, at f/4.5 and
f/5.6, to be 96 lines/mm center and 57 lines/mm corners.

They write, "....lines-per-millimeter resolution test produced the best
results we have ever seen for an ultrawide-angle lens, with central
sharpness at f/4.5 and f/5.6 even exceeding that of the fabled 16 mm f/8
Zeiss Hologon at its only aperture. (Our test Hologon yielded 90 l/mm
centrally and 70 l/mm in the corners.) Minimal pincushion distortion (0.45
percent) was about twice that of the Hologon's barrel distortion (0.23
percent), but still considered quite small."

Interestingly, they also measure the Heliar's aperture to be f/4.12, making
it closer to an f/4 that an f/4.5 lens.

So it would seem the Heliar resolves a little better than the Hologon in
the center, the Hologon a bit better in the corners, though both are
excellent. But the Heliar being two stops faster will make it far more
useful to me in the field.

(By the way, Leica has a full page full color ad in this issue. I can't
remember the last time I saw that in Pop Photo.)

Larry