Subject: RE: [Leica] depth of focus
From: Henry Ambrose <digphoto@nashville.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 14:19:48 -0600

Martin Howard:

So hows this for a statement using "depth of focus" in a teaching
situation -

I'd say something like this:

"What I mean by depth of field is maybe simpler to think of as depth of
focus, the area in your picture that is in focus. This is in a plane that
is perpendicular to your lens and parallel to the film. "

And again I'd add:

"What I'm talking about is the area between just beginning to be in focus
near your camera and the area farther out where the focus is going soft.
Thats the depth of focus area, between fuzzy in front and fuzzy in back"

This is how I meant to MISUSE "depth of focus"  NOT to lie to someone.

I find that many people are confused by "depth of field" thers not a lot
in the term to grab hold of.

no jokes about  "between fuzzy in front and fuzzy in back"

more new photography terms:

Photography -
making photographs with your camera

Nonphotography -
spending too much time on the LUG and fondling your camera without film
inside

Henry