Subject: Re: [Leica] See the new R8 motordrive !
From: Lucien <lucien@ubi.edu>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 18:32:09 +0100

Bernard wrote:

> Yes, I remember that. You used the bottom of the Nikon strap together
> with the leather off the R4 handle. But I don't quite understand yet how
> you solved the problem with the shutter release being on top of the
> camera. If you can explain me, then I can tell my dealer to round up a
> R4 handle for me, and do as you did. Thank you.

Bernard,

First of all don't forget it had to be an handrip fom the R4-mot period,
without electrical contacts.

When walking, I put 4 fingers under the strap and the thumb
on the back, it give a very good grip.
As soon I want to shoot, there is 2 solutions:

1- I push my hand further under the strap and then my forefinger can reach
the release.
I's really OK only with the additional battery pack (I have big hands) and
is not so comfortable because the top of the strap is pushing on the part
where the forefinger join the hand. All the weight is on the strap.
You can't stay like that very long.
I use it sometimes for handheld use of big lenses with tripod collar and
the Leica rubber grip screwed in it.
In that case a good part of the weight is on the left hand.

2- Or, I remove my forefinger from under the strap and keep only 3 fingers
under it.
It give you a little bit less security, but the weight then is on the 3
fingers and the thumb,
like without strap.

The real advantage is when you walk, there is no risk that the camera slip
out of your hand.

That's why the real solution is the second release in front of the new
motor.
But I'm not sure I'm prepared to add that weight!   It's heavy enought like
that.

I'm 100% sure that the strap was not planned at the start of R8 study.
When you look at the picture on Pascal site:
<http://members.xoom.com/_XOOM/cyberplace/novelties.html>
it look like it was added last week. It break the design of the camera.
And it was not on the prototype at the Photokina 1996.

It's difficult to understand how it's possible when you know that
Leitz/Leica
is offering a strap on all winders and motors since the first motorized
Leicaflex,
the SL Mot (1969).

It make me think that Leica designers never put a big heavy lens on the
R8 prototype during the development stage.
And in the next room other Leica people were designing the APO Modul
system...
Next time they can try with Giugaro...or better, with real Leica R users.

BTW, the regular release on the Nikon F5 is perfect with my strap.

Lucien