Subject: RE: [Leica] m4-p
From: Paul Chefurka <Paul_Chefurka@pmc-sierra.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 12:55:43 -0700

> Okay, I bought it. Now what should I know about it?
>
> Like, for example, is the film loading as obvious as it looks?

Yep.  Stick the film in (ensuring that the leader is inside the takeup
spool), close the back, put on the base, wind twice and go shoot.  The more
you think about loading the more it will screw up - the trick is to be
really casual and nonchalant about it.  Act like you don't care if it loads
or not, and it will never miss.  Fussing and fretting over it is a recipe
for disaster...

> What are the weak points?

Oh no you don't!  That question points toward the M4/M4-2/M4-P quality
debate, and we don't go there any more.  It's a Leica M.  By definition it
has no weak points.

> Are the framelines accurate?

As accurate as you need them to be...  They err on the side of caution.  At
infinity they are accurate, and as you focus closer the frame will include
more crap (err...image) from outside the lines.

> Any other shit?

Check out the handgrip or Tom Abrahamsson's Rapidwinder.  Two cool tools.

And congratulations on picking up the tarbaby...

Paul Chefurka