Subject: RE: [Leica] R8 motor thoughts - Batteries
From: "Tim Atherton" <timphoto@nt.sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 15:02:34 -0600

> Whatever for? I find this to be a wonderful thing. The Nikon F5 runs on
> NiMH battery pack. It is so superior to AA batteries that I only hoped
> Leica would have the brains to follow suit. I just hope the price
> includes
> the battery pack and charger. Which, for the F5, run nearly $500 USD! The
> battery was something like $135, the charger being the more
> expensive part.
> If one battery lasts for a month, then there's no need to carry more than
> two batteries. Way better than packets of AAs.

I'd be interested to know what their cold weather performance is at -35c
compared to AA Lithiums - never had a problem with my F4 with that setup. By
then though I need a pipe wrench to focus my M6!

Of course. nowhere to recharge a dead NiMh pack along the Beafort Sea Coast
(especially now the DEW line sites are gone)

Tim A