Subject: [Leica] Plastic aspherical lenses
From: "Anderson, Ferrel E" <AndersonF@ria.army.mil>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 16:04:32 -0500

Leica, according to articles in Leica Photographie and their press releases,
does not use any plastic or plastic/glass hybrid aspherical lens elements in
their lenses.  The wide angle Leica M aspherical lenses use a press forming
technique with glass that results in an aspherical surface that does not require
any further surface finishing other than coating.  This technique can be used
only on lenses  that are about one inch or smaller in diameter.   The 90
Aspherical Summicron, because of the larger size of the lens diameter,  is
formed with a mechanical grinding and polishing technique.

In regard to an earlier comment that Leica is pouring its resources into the
Leica M lenses, I have to point out that they have recently issued new R APO
lenses such as the 180 APO Elmarit-R, the 180 APO Summicron-R, the 280mm f4 Apo
Telyt, the Modular APO 280, 400, 560, and 800 lenses, the 70-180 APO Elmarit-R,
the 35-70 f2.8 Aspherical Elmarit-R and other state-of-the-art zoom lenses.
Their attention in the R lens series has been focussed, appropriately, on long
single focal length lenses and zoom lenses.  I expect (and hope!) to see an APO
90 Summicron-R lens in the immediate future.  I also think that they will
replace the 24 Elmarit-R lens soon with a aspherical design.  I think that Leica
will also upgrade the 50 mm Summicrons, both M and R, and the 50 Summilux M
lens.   Other R lenses that I have not already speculated on that are getting
long-in-the-tooth are the 60mm Macro Elmarit -R, the 35mm Summicron-R, and the
15mm f3.5 Super Elmar.  They are still superb lenses, but Leica seems bent on a
remarkable crusade to design  the best lenses in the world.  I think that the
challange of Zeiss in the form of the G cameras and the superb Zeiss G lenses
has helped spur their progress in reformulating their lens lines.  Maybe they
should follow the lead of Zeiss and provide lenses for other makes of cameras.
Why not a 120mm APO Macro Elmarit -R for Hasselblad?