Subject: RE: [Leica] Scared of 21mm
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 09:48:37 -0000

The new 21 aspheric is a fabulous lens. Even, corner to corner sharp.

The M lenses do indeed hook up with the rangefinder, it's just that you need
an external viewfinder with the 21 and 24, although some LUG members swear
that they don't really need the external finder for the 24.

While the Nikon 20 is a nice lens, as is the Olympus 21 f2, there are two
terrific advantages to using the wides on the M as opposed to any reflex:

1.  Because you are looking through a picture window, you will see a much
brighter image that you do through a 2.8 or even f2 lens in low light. What
you see in terms of brightness is very close to what you'd see with your
unaided eye, rather than what you see through the diaphragm, mirror and
prism;

2.   Again, because you are looking through the picture window and focusing
through it, focusing is both easier and more accurate with the rangefinder
and wides than it is with any reflex. The reflex, after all, is giving you a
wide but very small picture of the world, while the rangefinder is giving
you a close to life-size picture....and a bright focusing area.

As to 21 v 24, having just wrestled with the same dilemma myself and ended
up with the 24, I have to say it's a matter of personal taste. If you can
get both, you have the problem solved. :-)...But it's always easier to move
in closer with the 21, or, God forbid, crop the image later, than it is to
back off with the 24, where, in certain situations, it just won't be wide
enough...

Good luck...