Subject: RE: Subject: RE: [Leica] Ideal bag for M6 & 2 lenses = No bag
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 09:55:29 -0000

I keep hearing the argument that the M is light and I can't help
disagreeing. I think it's pretty heavy, actually. No, not as heavy as a
quality SLR. But just as the idea doesn't occur to me to put my SLRs
into my suit pockets, I am terrified at the idea of having to put an
M-Leica in my suit. Not only will I look like a bum, it will soon deform
my very nice suit jackets.
- ---

I doubt that Buzz was suggesting that you stuff an M6 in the pocket of your
Armani before you go into a business meeting....The point is that you can
use a the pockets of, say, a nice worn Harris Tweed jacket, or light summer
jacket, to carry the camera and a spare lens. Which is more important to
you - sartorial splendor, or photography?

I believe that if you want to compare the M for weight, you shouldn't
compare it to the traditional SLR, but to a modern point and shoot.
Because that's what the M competes with:

- ----

In a pig's eye it does...If you've bought an M as a P&S you are really
wasting your money and a terrific photographic instrument. The M competes
with top of the line SLRs, in terms of its optics, and in terms of what most
people use it for. It is a top quality all mechanical camera, that because
it is a rangefinder is smaller, lighter, and more compact than any of the
other top quality cameras around.