Subject: [Leica] R8 winder problem/problem resolved/happy
From: Ktuckphoto@aol.com
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 17:08:19 EDT

A quick response to the question of Metz 40-2 capabilities with R8.  Yes,
this combo will work with full features including plus and minus override on
flash.  You must use the SCA 3051 module.  I use this combo and it works
well.  You'll need to switch back to the SCA 351module to use with earlier
ttl Leicas.

NOW on to the R8.  Bought the winder last friday and had many problems
getting it to wind film.  I was getting power to the camera but it would not
wind.  My assistant took the motor off the camera and cleaned the contacts
thoroughly.  We have had no re-occurence of the problem.  The motor is very
nice and very, very quiet.  I don't really need a winder to shoot the
executive portraits that  we do-----but I sure love the power rewind!!  We
typically shoot between 10 and 25 rolls a day and not having to rewind
manually is fabulous.  I find the R8 to have the nicest viewfinder of all
Leicas.
But I'm not ready to give up on my M6's quite yet.

Does anyone out there have opinions about Angenieux Zoom on R's???  Thinking
of buying the 70-210 but would I be better off with the new 80-200 from Leica?
Can we talk about this stuff instead of Tilly Hats and Nomex Underwear?

Finally,  why does the M5 seem to be universally disliked?  Is it just the
size or are there other problems????

Thanks,

Kirk Tuck
ktuckphoto@aol.com