Subject: Re: [Leica] R8 winder problem/problem resolved/happy
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 15:08:24 -0700

Kirk Tuck wrote:
>Does anyone out there have opinions about Angenieux Zoom on R's???  Thinking
>of buying the 70-210 but would I be better off with the new 80-200 from
>Leica?>>

Hi Kirk,

After shooting many rolls with the Leica 80-200 f.4.0 I'd go with it in a
heart beat! Excellent results and just as sharp as all get out wide open.

Good colour rendition, handles well and with the R8 the bright viewfinder
is excellent for focusing. Besides it's much easier to handle than the
70-180 2.8 from a weight perspective.

You sure wont be sorry with it, besides if you don't like it, you can
always sell it! :)

>Finally,  why does the M5 seem to be universally disliked?  Is it just the
>size or are there other problems????>>>>>

From my own experience of using them, I'd say the main comment is in
relation to ...size. If one is accoustomed to using an M4, M6 or other M
bodies and then takes an M5 in hand, you imediately realize you have a hand
full of camera.

Other than size I never had any problems with my three at anytime and only
got rid of them to move onto new M4's that became available after the M5.

When one thinks what an M5 cost in the past and now used, I was a fool to
get rid of them. I should have kept them considering their value today. But
then hindsight is a great thing we never have when it's really required. :)

If you can find a good M5 try it in hand first and compare to using an M6
with meter, as the internal meter of the M5 was it's greatest asset as far
as I was concerned at the time. The M6 of today with it's excellent
internal meter that has yet to fail me at any time for correct exposure,
makes it a piece of cake for almost any kind of light conditions and fast
shooting with a Tom Abrahamsson Rapidwinder attached.

I trust this is of some assistance.
ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant