Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Photojournalistic integrity and masking
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 21:00:16 -0700

Eric Welch wrote:

> At 11:04 AM 9/15/99 -0700, Mark Rabiner wrote:
> >What i want to know is: Where is the "darken" filter in Photoshop. I know
> >where
> >to find it in my darkroom especially with the lights off but I can't find
> >it in
> >Photoshop.
>
> As a matter of fact, TIME apologized for their artist purposely darkening
> O.J. Simpson to make him look more menacing.
>
> The darken filter is in many different places, starting with levels,
> curves, etc.
>
> Eric Welch
><Snip>
I am being too obtuse!
My point is it doesn't take a computer program to print a picture dark. That's
basic darkroom or prepress or press. But it's somehow thought of as computer
manipulation. We need to think of a better example of computer manipulation. The
pyramids fill that bill perhaps. You would have a hard time shifting those
pyramids around by moving the paper under the enlarger. Might not look right.
And I wasn't saying what Time did was OK. It just wasn't a good example of
computer manipulation: A dark print! There is no Dark filter! There are
controls. Like you say There are curves, there are levels, there is the old
fashion Brightness/Contrast control like on a TV, there are the Variations control.
Mark Rabiner