Subject: [Leica] Iwo Jima Yet Again
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 08:54:42 -0400

At 06:10 AM 9/16/1999 -0600, George Huczek wrote:
>It may be better to state that the second flag raising was a _reenactment_
>of an earlier raising which used a smaller flag.

Well, I would still dispute this terminology.  "Re-enactment" implies, in
US English, anyway, that it was done for the purpose of recreating an
earlier event, generally for publicity purposes.  To the contrary, there
were two separate flag-raisings, the second being done for sound military
purposes (so the troops down below could SEE the larger flag!) and not to
allow the press photographers to get another go at taking pictures.

The folks at the top -- including Rosenthal! -- were under fire during both
raisings, incidentally.

I would hate to believe that someone thinks the Marines would risk their
men's lives just to get a great picture, or that a photographer of the
caliber of Rosenthal would have participated in such.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!