Subject: [Leica] Weight vs size
From: Jim Laurel <jplaurel@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 09:53:48 -0700

Weight is only part of the equation.  Size matters, and in this case,
smaller is better.  You can put an Elmarit 21 ASPH, Summilux 35 ASPH,
Noctilux, and APO Summicron 90 ASPH, plus two M6 bodies in a small Domke
satchel.  This combination of gear is lighter than, for example, the Canon
SLR counterpart.  Though still relatively heavy, this equipment is quite
compact.

This allows you to carry it in a small satchel type bag, like the Domke
F803, that rides close to your body.  Effectively, this make the same load
easier to carry, because it has less leverage on your spine.  In other
words, the load pulls down, and not so much out to the side.  The continual
effort to keep yourself straight, with a heavy load on a lever pulling you
sideways is very tiring.  And a satchel like this is slim, so you can hook
your hand around the bottom of it for extra support.

Another point is that you have to compare apples to apples.  Let's assemble
comparable systems and compare:

Elmarit 21 ASPH	300
Summilux 35	ASPH	310
Noctilux 50		630
Summicron 90 ASPH	500
M6 			580
Total			2320 grams

EF 20 2.8 		405
EF 35 1.4 		580
EF 50 1.0 		985
EF 100 f2 		460
EOS1 			895
Total			3325 grams

The additional weight of the SLR system, combined with its additional bulk
(hence, leverage, as the bag will stand out from your body more), makes for
a system that is more fatiguing to carry.

This is the most fair comparison.  Weight could be further reduced for the
SLR by substituting the very good L-series zooms, but you know that they are
not the equivalent of the EF primes, much less the Leica primes.  And, they
lack the high speed of the lenses I've included here.  Next, you must ask
yourself how the Canon primes I've selected for this kit compare to the
Leicas.

On the other hand, considering all the advanced electronic technology the
Canon kit packs, as compared to the Leica, the fact that it only weighs 30%
more is quite remarkable.  Then again, Leica packs alot of advanced optical
technology into a very small package.  When you look at the whole picture,
thier claims of compactnes and light weight are not unfounded.

Cheers,

- --Jim Laurel