Subject: Re: [Leica]Tilley Hats and Wegee
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 12:42:05 -0700

I walked an hour walk to downtown Portland yesterday with my Hasselblad shooting
60/30 with a mask to see the Wegee show at the art museum. I thought having that
camera not a great choice for Wegee but there he was in a picture shooting with
one (and a monopod and kaleidoscope attachment).
One shot "Mother and Son" for me far transcended all his other work. Was very
Arbus but in a way better. A worthwhile show. You can't beat drag queens in
large format!
I guess he used all formats I spotted I think a Contax around his neck as he was
shooting with his famous Speed Graphic and Cigar.

On the way home I passed Helmers Hat store and checked out the Tilley expecting
not to like an expensive Mister Magoo hat. Loved it, bought it. Not the white
one, the tan one. I had no choice it was my hat. Wore it all the way home as I shot.
All you guys saying it was kinda dorky I think past the pure functional aspects
it has a lot of flash and dash. Almost too much. I feel a bit like General
Custer with my hair length and the hat which with the straps the hat is designed
to work with.
But I feel like I need a set of shootin shells. There's an element of kid
playing cowboy about it. I'm happy about it so far. Sending in all the
guarantee's. Putting a sample of my DNA in the secret  pocket with the locator
device. If someone else tries to wear the hat what happens?
Mark Rabiner