Subject: [Leica] Fast lenses and coalmines (was ..... M advice...)
From: Bernard <5521.g23@g23.relcom.ru>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 10:33:59 +0400

Martin Howard wrote:

> It will also let you explore the quality of Leica lenses, while the
> Summicrons with their f/2 maximum aperture may not be the fastest
> thing around, should allow you to do quite a fair bit of available
> light stuff with moderately fast film, such as Tri-X.

Tri-X? Faster lenses are nice and handy. I understand that, and if I
could trade in my summicrons for summiluxes without losing money, I
would do so. However, I can't say I'm actually suffering without that
extra stop. And now I read about Tri-X, which in real life is ISO320.
Guys.... are you all shooting inside abandoned coalmines?? When I go
shooting cityscapes, I take my R-24/2.8, screw on an orange filter (two
stop light loss) and load APX25. Then I try to stay away from full open,
and use f/4 as my standard aperture. That puts me 8.5 stops (!!) away
from a summilux at wide open, without filter and with Tr-X. But I get
along very nicely with that setup, even on a semi-overcast day. If the
weather is really bad (I try not to shoot with really bad weather for
artistic reasons anyway), and for shots closer to the evening, I will
need a monopod. With fair weather I can shoot without any supports. And
no, I don't use flash inside. I hate flash. Flash is something I use for
studio shots only.

Bernard.