Subject: Re: [Leica] Summicron-M v Summilux-M
From: Dominique.Pellissier@droit-eco.univ-nancy2.fr (Dominique PELLISSIER)
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 15:26:41 +0200

>Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 07:41:50 +0100
>From: Roger Underwood <roger.aru@cwcom.net>
>Subject: [Leica] Summicron-M v Summilux-M
>
>I was speaking to a photographic dealer the other day about the relative
merits of a 35mm Summicron or Summilux for my M6.  His advice was to go for
the former unless I aimed to do a lot of work at low available light levels,
which is fair enough.  But he then surprised me by saying that at the
Summilux's wider apertures the cost of the extra stop is a slight trade off
in resolution compared with the Summicron.  Can this be still true with
modern lens design?
If anyone can point me in the direction of a test on this it would be
appreciated.

>Regards
>
>Roger Underwood

Roger,

1°) The french review Chasseur d'images says exactly the contrary (n° 217,
p. 49) : the summilux has better resolution than the summicron."Un poil
meilleur" they say (= "a wee bit better")
2°) You could compare the MTF-tests of both the lenses on the official Leica
site.

Dominique