Subject: Re: [Leica] 50mm Summilux vs Noctilux
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 11:30:14 -0700

Ruralmopics@aol.com wrote:

> I must admit I'm always a little baffled (maybe slightly impressed) when I
> see folks discuss these super fast lenses. I shoot for a monthly  publication
> and end up in a lot of diverse situations (though not nearly as many as in my
> newspaper days) still I rarely find the need for extremely fast lenses. I've
> just started in Leica photography but my Nikon kit contains no lenses faster
> than f2. Besides rarely needing anything faster I just can't imagine what the
> results would look like shooting a 50mm at 1.4. Depth of field would of
> course be very limited and it seems (to me anyway) inappropriate for the
> field of view you would get with a 50mm at normal working distance. A 180mm
> wide open I can understand but a 50mm f 1.4 just doesn't register in my mind.
> Perhaps I need to try it and see (I think we have a Nikkor 1.4 around here
> somewhere . . . )
>
> Bob McEowen

Speed/fastness/big fat aperture is a real issue in SLR photography where a
brighter groundglass which pops in and out of focus quickly is an issue of function.
I think when we switch to Rangefinder that without that issue there is much less
need for that speed.
That is what I found. None of the higher speed lenses yet in my kit! I don't
miss them yet and it's been six and a half years.
Mark Rabiner