Subject: Re: [Leica] Consistent underexposure problem
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 21:52:13 +0200

From: Harrison McClary <harrison@mcclary.net>
Sent: Saturday, September 18, 1999 15:16

> Here you would be wrong...99% of the time an incident
> meter will give you a much more accurate reading than
> a reflected in camera meter...

How about a spot meter?  I got a spot meter today, a Minolta Spotmeter F.  I got
a spot meter because my subjects are often too far away to make an incident
meter practical (e.g., the Eiffel Tower!).  The only spot meter at the camera
store was the Minolta, but hopefully it is pretty good (is Minolta good at this
sort of thing).  The spot meter agrees with my Leica and my Nikon F5 to within
1/10 stop; the Nikon FG is mysteriously off, but that was a far less expensive
camera, and it predates the others.

> ...very seldom do I shoot slide film with
> out using my Minolta incident meter.

How do you use it?  I've used spot meters before (a looong time ago), but never
an incident meter, at least not for photography.  First of all, it seems that
you need to put it right in front of your subject--difficult if it is a building
or landscape.  Also, how does it account for distance to the camera and the
reflectance of your subject?

> One problem you may be having is that the Leica M6 meter
> is a center spot sort of...

I verified this with the gray card.  As soon as the edge of the gray card
reached the area of the spot, the meter reading changed.

> Following is how I determine the EI to rate my film:
> The best thing to do is to run a test and see where the
> exposure falls using your meter and your cameras.  Every
> meter works differently, every person meters slightly
> differently.

I don't know that film is a factor.  I've shot Provia 100 in both my F5 and my
Leica.  I now know that they both meter correctly (or at least identically).
And yet my Leica shots are often underexposed.  About the only variable left is
my own shooting technique; I _must_ be doing something wrong.

> Oh and one last thing even after doing all of this you
> should bracket on important shots if time allows, if not
> get a snip test pulled of the film because labs can run
> from 1/3 to 1/2 or more stops different from day to

Even when I'm just having the transparencies developed in E-6 (no prints)?
Isn't the development just a highly automated process of running the film
through a machine?

Besides, it seems improbable that the lab would mess up the rolls I shoot with
the Leica, but not with the Nikon.  Too many coincidences there!  It _must_ be
me.

  -- Anthony