Subject: Re: [Leica] senior portraits with contax G and Leica R4
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 17:59:09 +0000

The Contax G1 and G2 cameras, inspite of the low respect given to it by
leica folks (myself included until I used one), are one heck of a pair of
cameras packed with features with  modest price tags.  I get a higher
percentage of well exposed and printable negs when I use the Contax.  The
lenses are superb optics very affordably priced.  Again I am not sure why
so many people are complaining that there are no G-lenses faster than f2. I
compensate with faster films and I handhold the G2 till 1/2 sec. and still
get sharp images.  Having a VF that does not black out during exposure is
one reason why it is possible to handhold rangefinders, Leica M included,
at such slow speeds. If needed, my TLA-200 flash gives a perfect exposure
everytime, anytime.

The 90 mm Sonnar is generally easier to focus and use on the G2.

The style of photography is somewhat different compared with the Leica M.
They are in many ways complementary to each other.  My impression is that
the way the Contax G is used falls somewhere in between the Leica M and a
SLR camera.

Dan K.

   The pursuit of wealth is ultimately futile.  A shroud has no pockets.