Subject: [Leica] [NOT LEICA] WAY OT - MOTORBIKES
From: "Jason Hall" <JASON@jbhall.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 10:53:47 +0100

To K Peters

>Also wanted to ask those of you in love with the old mechanics if anyone =
>had any experience with the Enfield motorcycles?  Our local motorcycle =
>dealer just started selling them and they are quite interesting!  500cc, =
>one big cylinder, one carburator, kick start.  The IIIf of motorcycles!  =
>And really neat!  British styling, etc....  Just wondering if anyone out =
>there had checked them out!???   Anyways, seemed like something that an =
>old Leica buff would like to have in their garage for photo adventuring! =
> Peace to all and have a great weekend!  Kpeters

The India Enfield has better brakes and beefed up engine internals compared
with the original, some of the cycle parts are also purported to be of a
superior quality to the original, I believe there were some general fit and
finish problems a while back, but these may well have been sorted now,
should be covered by your dealer/importer anyhow.

RE's were nicknamed Royal Oilfields in the halcyon cafe racer days for their
propensity to discharge oil from every joint, complete with Lucas (Prince of
Darkness) electric's, they were poor cousins in terms of performance and
sophistication when compared with Velocette, Vincent, BSA big singles, but
relatively simple to fix.  Bear in mind that top speed is going to be a
little over 80mph (top speed not cruising speed) its an old design and will
be maintenance intensive, which you may enjoy.

You can't beat a big old Brit single, a joy to own with real character
compared to modern Japanese iron.  I have an old BSA B25, but hanker after a
Velocette Venom to add to the stable.

Gentle compression ratio of 6.6:1 should plod away for ever, compared with
my B25 compression 10:1, kickback like a wild horse!!

There was a company in the UK buying the India Enfields, new,  to strip,
remachine, blueprint and rebuild, at a cost premium.  If you are in the
market for this kind of bike, some of the Russian BMW Boxer copies may also
be worth a look.

Incidentally, I could probably dig out some Bullet road tests if you are
really interested, mail me off list.

Oh yeah, and watch that the kickback doesn't brake your ankle, my Beesa is a
little swine for that, due in part to the 10:1 compression ratio.

Good luck

And your IIIf would fit under the side panel!

Jason