Subject: Re: [Leica] What I did today ..or...GET A LIFE!
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 07:45:01 +0200

From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <ramarren@bayarea.net>
Sent: Sunday, September 19, 1999 22:13

> If some other observer gets in the shot and then
> turns to say "Don't you take my picture!", I'm going
> to respond, "Well, get out of the way!" This is news
> reportage of a public event in a public place.

You can say this even if it isn't newsworthy, although a nicer wording might be
advisable.  In public places, people cannot object to being in the frame if you
are not photographing them.  Monuments and other items of interest are not going
to move, so if someone doesn't want to be photographed with them, he'll have to
move out of the way.  He cannot expect you to refrain from taking pictures until
he is no longer there; if everyone did that, you'd never get any pictures at
all.

In situations like this, it is often more productive to ask forgiveness than to
ask permission.

  -- Anthony