Subject: Re: [Leica] 24MM ASph Filter Question
From: InfinityDT@aol.com
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 15:14:27 EDT

In a message dated 9/20/99 2:04:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
chris@almqvist.net writes:

<< Sorry, this is not a reply, but rather a request for clarification:

 If I look at the camera lens thru the filter, and then tilt the camera away
 from me so that the inside  of the lens partly disappears, but not because
 it is covered by the filter but because it is covered by the outermost
 rings of the lens, then to my mind there is no vignetting caused by the
 filter. Right or wrong?

 And if there is a bit of vignetting caused by the filter when the lens is
 fully opended, will the vignetting disappear if I close the lens down a few
 stops? >>

The way I check for physical vignetting is by pointing the lens toward an
even light source (like a white wall) so all 4 corners of the finder are
brightly-lit, stop the lens down to the smallest aperture and press the DOF
preview.   The vignetting effects of a filter or lens hood always appear more
pronounced in the finder at smaller stops than wide open.  With some
lens-hood-filter combinations the vignetting as not even visible at all until
the smallest aperture.  I also check at both minimum focusing distance and
infinity.  Some lenses will show filter/hood vignetting at one but not the
other.  In addition, wide zooms (not an issue with Leica) need to be checked
throughout the focal length range.  With the M Leica you either need to shoot
a test film, or place a ground glass at the film plane.  With the R Leicas I
would advise the same, because their finders do not show 100%.  I have many
lenses which I've checked on my Nikon F-series bodies (100% finders) and
found them to vignette whereas they look perfectly fine on FM2n or n90s which
have 93% and 92% finders (respectively) which are close to the R's finders.