Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Stabilizing a CF tripod
From: InfinityDT@aol.com
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 15:25:13 EDT

In a message dated 9/20/99 3:06:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jplaurel@microsoft.com writes:

<< But for those of you who use the larger tripods with the M, here's a tip:
 Keep a quick release plate attached to the M grip.  That way, the camera is
 better centered over the tripod, and the grip + plate can be detached from
 the body by the hand key.  This seems to work out much better than attaching
 the plate directly to the camera body.

 --Jim >>

I have one of the early Kirk QR plates (before they copied the much heavier
and bulkier RRS plate that hugs the entire baseplate) and I replaced the
allen bolt with one of those generic plastic-knob screws like on flash
brackets, so it goes on and off in a jiffy.  Sometimes I leave the plate
mounted to the tripod head and just use the screw knob to attach it to the
camera...almost as quick as the knob on the QR clamp itself.  Good point
about centering the tripod hole.  There's a lot of leverage on the baseplate
in addition to vibration from the cantilevering.  I picked up a couple of the
old GMP M grips a while back, removed the wimpy little grip (2 allen screws),
and use them just for the centered tripod hole.  Before I bought the Kirk
Leica plate I used another Kirk plate on the GMP plate to attach to my B-1
head.