Subject: [Leica] Noctilux vs Summilux, and a Leica moment
From: Tom Bryant <tbryant@pars5.gsfc.nasa.gov>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 18:10:56 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Luggers!

> Aside from the big size and cost difference, I'm trying to decide
> if the Noctilux is a better lens for my style of photography over
> the Summilux.  I love the idea of being able to use the Noctilux in
> near darkness. I've missed many photo opportunities in the past when
> I'm caught without a flash. There is no doubt about the qualities of
> the Noctilux in the dark, but how does it compare to the Summilux when
> taking pictures outdoors during the daylight hours? I am looking for
> that perfect lens that I can leave on my M6 for maybe 95 percent of the
> time. Opinions on either of these lens would be greatly appreciated.

    Noctilux vs Summilux: (IMHO!)

    The Summilux is the more portable of the two lenses, and by the
square/cube law of materials strength, less easily damaged by bumps.  The
sheer bulk of the Noctilux makes it easier to cradle in your hand while
shooting, and adds a little, with its higher rotational inertia, to the
sharpness of your hand held pictures.

    Both lenses are acceptably sharp (they're sharper than their SLR
counterparts, having the freedom to put the rear element a centimeter or so
closer to the film pays off in better performance).  See Erwin's test report
on his Leica pages or photodo.com for more details.

    The depth of field on the Noctilux, wide open, is limited (it's fairly
narrow if you close down just a stop, and that's what you get with the
Summilux).  Your Leica's rangefinder must be spot on to shoot well with the
Noctilux.  I find I like this limited depth of field.  Used carefully, it
really allows you to single out your subject.

    Overall, for the sort of available light shooting I do,  I prefer the
Noctilux.  The Summilux goes on only when I don't think I'll be needing the
speed.  I really ought to sell the Summilux, but it's such a lovely lens, and
has taken some exquisite photos for me over the years.

A Leica Moment

    I was at a family gathering, celebrating the 85th birthday of a cousin.
Everyone gathered around to take pictures of her and her children, and I lined
up with the other photographers.
    There were several point and shoots in front of me, and they were buzzing
and flashing.  I then stepped up, told the subjects to relax, and squeezed off
with my M3.  After I had taken a couple of shots,  my cousin asked when I was
going to take the picture.  I told her that I had already done so.
    "Oh!" She said.  "It's so quiet!... and no flash!  It must be a very
modern camera!"
    Someone from the back of the room said "It's the oldest camera here!"
    I winked at her, and said "Older is better!"
    That brought a smile and blush, and I again squeezed the shutter.
    Hope it comes out!